Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Pontiac Superintendent put on leave after MEAP scores 19 days late

     Brian Doherty just took the helm of the Pontiac School District earlier this year and already he is in hot water for the less than stellar work of administrators in the district. In a story filed by Diana Dillabar Murray,  Doherty was put under a leave while an investigation is currently being conducted into why two schools were late turning in their MEAP scores. WHRC was 19 days late turning their scores into the state and Doherty is the CEO of the district and is accountable to the state.

Pontiac school administrator put on leave after state receives MEAP tests late

Failure to turn in one school’s Michigan Education Assessment Program test results to the state by deadline this fall has resulted in a Pontiac school district official being put on administrative leave while an investigation is underway.

Pontiac school Superintendent Brian Dougherty said the investigation was launched into the handling of the test results from Whitmer Human Resource Center elementary after they were turned in 19 days past the state deadline.

The district’s assessment coordinator was put on administrative leave until the investigation is completed later this week, said Dougherty, who would not release the name of the administrator and would not go into detail about what happened.

“We are still wrapping up the investigation as to what occurred,” Dougherty said Tuesday afternoon.
The MEAP tests were completed at the building but did not meet the filing deadlines.

“We have been working to get the scores. I want my teachers to have that data because that’s what we use to do intervention with students,” Dougherty said.

Teachers look at the data for the class as a whole for individual students to determine what steps to take to help students succeed.

Rumors that the principal of WHRC was suspended are not true, Dougherty said.

However, the principal of Herrington Elementary has been put on administrative leave while an investigation into a personnel matter is underway at that school.

The superintendent said he could not comment further on either situation until the investigations were complete.